HECTO is an FP6-IST project partly funded by the European Commission with 2.36 million euro out of a total project budget of 3.87 million euro. It was started in 2006-11-01. The focus of this project is on the development of photonic components, transmitters and receives, for high-performance and high-speed but cost-efficient communication systems.
The project has been completed with successful field trials of the developed components at 112 Gb/s!
The main objectives of the project are summarized as follows:
- To develop transmitters and receivers suitable for optical systems based on serial 100GbE signals requiring about 110Gbit/s.
- To determine specifications for all interfaces of the photonic components taking into account emerging relevant standards, and to determine application areas for the components and their impact on the specifications.
- To test the transmitters and the receivers in laboratory tests and field trials.
- To disseminate the results of the project, e.g. through the involvement of end users in the field trials.
- To exploit the results of the project, including plans for commercial exploitation by the SME component vendors of the consortium.